Australia captain and co-selector George Bailey says if David Hussey can regain form at domestic level this summer he’ll keep himself in the frame for the World Twenty20 in Bangladesh in 2014.
Hussey was dumped from the side during last month’s T20 series against Pakistan in Dubai and was recalled for Friday night’s World T20 semi-final against the West Indies in Colombo.
The 35-year-old made a second-ball duck after coming to the crease at 4-42 chasing 206 to win.
Hussey’s two overs of offspin cost 22 runs and he also appeared to suffer a bad bounce as an outfield ball skidded through his hands to the boundary.
It was far from a successful night for the leading runscorer in T20 domestic and international history, but Bailey is refusing to close the door on short-form specialist Hussey, who was given a national contract in June.
Hussey’s recall for the semi-final came at the expense of 23-year-old fellow Victorian Glenn Maxwell, also a middle-order strokeplayer who bowls offspin.
“He was brought back in because of his experience,” Bailey said.
“He’s played so much T20 cricket that in clinches you’re hoping that he’s going to step up and show that experience, which didn’t happen.
“From one game you can’t put a line through him and say there’s nothing there.
“My innings (Bailey hit 63 in his side’s 131 all out) was hollow and by the time he came out to bat the game was probably gone as well.
“I thought his first over was very good and his second over not too bad, probably one bad ball.
“I don’t know going forward for him.
“He was the best player in the domestic T20 competition last year so you think if he continues that form with his allrounder ability, age isn’t a factor for what we want for the team.
“If he’s still playing cricket in 2014 he’s someone we’ll look at.”