* First run in 1963, won by Maidenhead
* It was a Quality Handicap from 1963-76
* In 1964 was run over 10 furlongs (2000m)
* Until 1990 was the HE Tancred Stakes, until 1995 The BMW, until 2002 Mercedes Classic before reverting to The BMW
* Some greats of the Australasian turf have won the race: Hyperno (1978), Kingston Town (1980), Bonecrusher (1986), Beau Zam (1988), Octagonal (1996, 1997), Might And Power (1998), Tie The Knot (1999, 2000) and Makybe Diva (2005)
* Nine horses have won the Ranvet Stakes-BMW double in the same year: Alibhai (1985), Myocard (1987), Beau Zam (1988), Stony Bay (1995), Tie The Knot (2000), Eremein (2006), Tuesday Joy (2008), Manighar (2012) and Silent Achiever (2014)
* 2015 winner: Hartnell
* Only two favourites have won the race in the past 10 years (Fiveandahalfstar, Eremein)
* Best winning trainer since 1983 is John Hawkes with 4 wins from 13 starters.
* Barrier four is the most successful, with six wins since 1983
* Trainer Chris Waller has the most entries, with Who Shot Thebarman, Grand Marshal, Preferment and Storm the Stars to race
WHAT CONNECTIONS ARE SAYING:
“I don’t think he has to improve off his Australian Cup win to win the BMW. The only query will be is he going to be as strong at that distance” – jockey Hugh Bowman on Preferment.
“He’s got a beautiful gate and he’s in Group One-winning form” – trainer Chris Waller on Preferment.
“He got a bit cluttered up in a leader dominated race at Canberra and I think he was probably looking for more ground. Everything he’s done since has been good and the extra 400m here will suit him” – Godolphin trainer John O’Shea on Arab Dawn.
Article from JustHorseRacing.com.au