Murray accepts latest loss to Djokovic

Andy Murray refused to tear open old wounds after enduring more grand slam despair at the hands of Novak Djokovic at Roland Garros.

Murray’s 6-3 6-3 5-7 5-7 6-1 French Open semi-final defeat on Saturday followed three Australian Open final losses to the world No.1.

And just as Djokovic’s sportsmanship was questioned following his victory over Murray in Melbourne this year, when the Serb appeared injured and out on his feet at times during his four-set win, the top seed came under fire for taking an eight-minute medical timeout after dropping the third set in Paris.

Djokovic has been hindered with a groin strain during the tournament but declined to disclose the exact reason for seeking treatment in the semi-final, saying only that it was for a leg issue.

But the eight-times grand slam champion didn’t believe his behaviour was unfair in any way.

“Well, I went out from the court instantly as soon as I lost the third set,” Djokovic said.

“I took my bag and asked for medical, and after that I was examined.

“It took some time to get to the locker room to get on the table and to do the treatment, so I don’t see why is that unfair.”

Murray questioned Djokovic’s apparent “physical crisis” in Australia but refused to fuel the fire after succumbing to the Serb for the eighth straight match.

“I’m not getting into that,” the Scot said when asked if authorities should allow players such a lengthy break at critical stages of a match.

“I said one word after my match with Novak in Australia and it was like I was complaining and trying to be a sore loser.

“That’s not what it is. Everyone is entitled to take the medical timeouts when required, and that’s what it is.”

Murray wasn’t interesting in moaning about the timing of the suspension of the semi-final on Friday night either.

Despite having all the momentum, Murray admitted he was keen to get off court after breaking Djokovic to go up 2-1 in the fourth set, but it wasn’t until 3-3 before play was postponed until Saturday because of a severe storm warning in Paris.

“I actually said to the umpire (at 2-1): `It’s actually very dark right now’ and then obviously 20 minutes later we were still going,” he said.

“Obviously it became light. Seemed like some of the clouds passed a little bit and the sun came out again.

“But then they just told us that there was going to be, what, a storm coming that would hit in the next 15 to 20 minutes.

“It was best time to stop the match.

“I obviously started well when we came back out today, so it didn’t hinder me.”

* All Offers and Promotions posted in this article excludes NSW residents.
Stay up to date with the latest sports news
Follow our social accounts to get exclusive content and all the latest sporting news!