South Sydney centre Dylan Walker’s playing future is likely to remain in limbo for at least another fortnight despite a report that he’s been handed a show cause notice by the NRL club.
The notice would require Walker to front the Rabbitohs board in the wake of his prescription drug overdose six weeks ago.
However that’s unlikely to occur for another fortnight. Walker’s agent Allan Gainey is overseas and isn’t due back in Australia until November 15.
Souths would not confirm the Nine Network’s report of Walker’s show cause notice on Tuesday.
But a spokesman said the club’s internal investigation into the actions of Walker and Aaron Gray that led to their admittance to hospital in late September was continuing, with a findings likely to take around another two weeks.
“The investigation is ongoing at this stage, we have no further comment,” the spokesman told AAP.
Four-Test Australian representative Walker was rushed to hospital alongside winger Gray on September 22 after taking a dangerous cocktail of prescription drugs.
The NRL launched an investigation into the incident.
It is believed the toxicology report of the pair will confirm no illicit substances were taken, instead showing Walker and Gray dangerously mixed three prescription medications, including painkillers Endone and Tramadol.
It’s been suggested Walker could be moved on as the club attempts to re-sign Sam Burgess and he has been linked to a move to Manly. Walker is off contract at Redfern at the end of 2016, after the Souths junior committed to a three-year deal with Rabbitohs in June 2013.
Walker, 21, was a key figure in the Rabbitohs’ 2014 premiership win and was rewarded with selection in an under-strength Australia side for the Four Nations campaign last year.
He failed to replicated that form in a lacklustre 2015.
Walker has scored 32 tries in 61 games for the Rabbitohs.