Monfils pulls out of French Open

Monfils pulls out of French Open

World No.14 Gael Monfils has withdrawn from the French Open with a viral infection, the grand slam organisers said on Friday.

“@Gael_Monfils withdraws from #RG16 because of a bad virus. Get well soon and see you for #RG17 Gael,” they said in the official French Open Twitter feed.

The 29-year-old Frenchman joins world No.3 Roger Federer, who pulled out of the year’s second grand slam on Thursday citing a lack of fitness.

Monfils, who reached the quarter-finals of the Australian Open this year, has had a mixed tour so far.

He didn’t get past the second rounds in the Madrid and Italian Opens this month, but did reach the final of the Monaco Open in April.

Monfils has never gone past the semi-finals of the French Open and was knocked out in the fourth round by Federer last year.

* All Offers and Promotions posted in this article excludes NSW residents.
Stay up to date with the latest sports news
Follow our social accounts to get exclusive content and all the latest sporting news!