Wests Tigers five-eighth Mitchell Moses admits he was concerned the club’s recent six-game losing streak was going to affect his ongoing contract negotiations.
Moses has given himself until June to decide on whether to trigger a player option on his current NRL contract to stay at Concord for the 2017 season, or leave for greener pastures.
How green that is could depend on both individual and team form, the latter of which was on extremely shaky ground before their last-start win over South Sydney.
The week before that they had been embarrassed 60-6 by Canberra.
“It was stressful, definitely. It was in the back of my head, but I was just trying to put that aside and play good footy,” Moses said on Monday.
Veteran player manager and cousin Isaac Moses is in talks with a number of clubs on Mitchell’s future, however the 21-year-old said he has yet to sit down and consider his options.
“I let him know that when he thinks I’m ready to start the talks, we’ll start. But I think he’s in talks at the moment. He’ll let me know when he thinks I’m ready,” he said.
Moses said he was a lot happier with his form this year compared to last.
The Tigers snapped their losing run with a stunning upset of the Rabbitohs, despite being without Moses, Aaron Woods and Tim Grant, and losing star fullback James Tedesco at halftime.
Moses, Woods and Grant are expected to return for this week’s clash with Canterbury, where Moses hopes they can build on their win over the Rabbitohs.
“I think I’ve been playing a lot more calm with my footy compared to last year,” he said.
“We had a couple of losses on the trot there but it was good that the boys got the win last weekend and hopefully we take that into the Bulldogs game.”