Segeyaro has no plans for an NRL return

20160712_074406.jpg
Segeyaro has no plans for an NRL return

An NRL return isn’t in the immediate future of James Segeyaro, with the former Penrith hooker revealing he is committed to Super League heavyweights Leeds until the end of 2018.

The Rhinos announced last month they’d signed the 25-year-old initially to the end of the season, with a view to “a potential long-term arrangement”, after the Panthers agreed to waive the remaining six months on his contract.

England fullback Zak Hardaker made the move in the opposite direction on a similar basis.

Segeyaro, who made his Super League debut in Leeds’ 20-15 win at Hull last Friday, has now revealed he has another two years on his deal and has no plans to return to the NRL in the foreseeable future.

“My contract runs until 2018, I signed for two years,” he told PA.

“The call is in my favour. There’s an option for me to leave if I want to but I’ve signed till 2018.”

The Papua New Guinea-born player cast doubt over a return home.

“Maybe, I don’t know, I kind of like it over here,” he said.

“I’m just happy to play football and these boys have welcomed me with open arms. In that kind of environment, you don’t want to leave.

“It’s a winning environment, a place where I feel I can succeed more in my career.”

Segeyaro was relegated to reserve-grade football at Penrith after falling out of favour with coach Anthony Griffin and is confident he can rediscover his form with the reigning Super League champions – liking Rhinos coach Brian McDermott to his old Panthers mentor Ivan Cleary.

* All Offers and Promotions posted in this article excludes NSW residents.
Stay up to date with the latest sports news
Follow our social accounts to get exclusive content and all the latest sporting news!