Pressure on Eels officials to accept ban

Pressure on Eels officials to accept ban

The pressure is on Parramatta’s five de-registered officials to accept their fate and open the door for prodigal son Jarryd Hayne to make a dramatic return to the club.

Just days after the NRL officially docked the Eels 12 competition points and fined the club $1 million for salary cap breaches, the so-called `Gang of Five’ are believed to be considering appealing their ban.

However, Hayne’s sudden availability could now force their hand with the governing body attempting to use the code-hopping star as leverage to implement significant change in the Eels’ administration.

It is understood the board had a meeting on Monday night.

“He should go to a club that’s well-managed and well-governed, and that’ll certainly form part of his decision-making,” NRL boss Todd Greenberg told Channel Nine.

Hayne, 28, is a free agent again after a Monday announcement on social media that he had been overlooked for Fiji’s Olympic rugby sevens team by coach Ben Ryan.

The former NFL player said he would return to Sydney, where a loophole in the June 30 deadline rules could allow him to return in the blue and gold as early as this year.

The Eels are believed to be close to settling on a release for troubled star Kieran Foran, freeing the funds necessary to bring Hayne back into the fold, almost 20 months after he left to pursue an NFL career.

“He can … and he’s not moving from club to club, which is the June 30 deadline. So the short answer is yes and we’d welcome him back with open arms,” Greenberg said.

* All Offers and Promotions posted in this article excludes NSW residents.
Stay up to date with the latest sports news
Follow our social accounts to get exclusive content and all the latest sporting news!