Daly Cherry-Evans says he has agreed to play the rest of his NRL career at Manly after backflipping on his multi-million dollar deal with Gold Coast.
Manly CEO Joe Kelly announced on Tuesday that 27-year-old Cherry-Evans had been given “lifetime contract” with the club.
He declined to say how many years would be on the contract registered with the NRL.
Under the NRL’s controversial “round 13 rule”, Queensland and Australian playmaker Cherry-Evans had up until the end of round 13 next week to change his mind about joining the Titans.
“The opportunity to stay here and be a one-club player,” said Cherry-Evans of the reason for his decision.
“In rugby league job security isn’t something many people have.
“Its something I’ve been offered, and something I’ve been willing to take up.”
Despite the months of unsettling speculation over his future, Cherry-Evans said his decision to renege on the Titans deal had only been made “very recently” and was “heavily based” around the happiness of his family.
“In the last 48 hours I think it’s fair to say,” he said.
“When all’s said and done I’ve gone through a lot of pain for this, but I know in the long term it’s beneficial to me and my family.”
Cherry-Evans insisted he intended to honour his four-year multi-million contract with Gold Coast even after Manly signed his good friend, Titans captain Nate Myles.
“It’s only since this offer was put on the table that it was made clear how important this club is to me and how important I am to them.”
He said he understood the Queensland club had every right to be angry over his change of heart and he was sorry but he’d done what was best for him and his family.