Brad Scott admits he should have kept North Melbourne’s decision to axe four AFL veterans in-house until the end of the season.
But the Kangaroos coach believes all-time AFL games record-holder Brent Harvey could continue his playing career at a new club in 2017.
Last month’s decision to delist Harvey, Drew Petrie, Michael Firrito and Nick dal Santo was made public while the club was preparing for its ill-fated finals campaign, which ended with a heavy loss to Adelaide in week one.
Citing disappointment among North’s membership, Scott said he would have held off telling the media if he had his time again and handled Harvey’s decision in particular, in private.
“I probably would have said ‘mate, it’s not the time to announce it. We’ve got a finals to go into. You know so you’ve got some clarity around the situation but for the club’s sake we need to announce this post-season’,” Scott told the Seven Network on Monday night.
“Our members were clearly really disappointed and that disappoints us.”
Harvey has previously said he had no hard feelings towards Scott for calling an end to his career at Arden Street after a league-record 432 games for the Kangaroos.
While admitting his error, Scott acknowledged Harvey’s handling of the saga.
“We were very disappointed that it was messaged the way it was but in terms of the players themselves, ‘Boomer’ (Harvey) in particular, he doesn’t feel disrespected in any way, shape or form,” Scott said.
Harvey, 38, has reportedly attracted interest from four clubs but remains undecided on whether he will continue his playing career.
Scott has little doubt the star midfielder could go around again if he wanted to.
“I think he’s playing well enough to play on. He’s said that a number of times and a number of people have said that,” Scott said.
“But the deciding factor (to let him go) was where the team was at and where North Melbourne needs to go.”