Wimbledon centre court evacuated

Wimbledon’s famed Centre Court was evacuated after the close of play on Wednesday as firemen and police responded to a fire alarm.

An AFP photographer at the scene saw smoke coming from near a dining terrace.

Police vans and fire engines were in attendance, and firemen in full breathing apparatus were seen going past the well-known Fred Perry statue to the east of the 15,000-capacity arena as security staff also rushed to the scene with fire extinguishers.

London Fire Brigade said they had been called to the historic tennis venue, but did not give details, while London’s Metropolitan Police said they were also on hand, and that the incident was “not suspicious”.

A spokesman for Wimbledon told AFP: “At about 9:15pm (2015 GMT), the fire alarm went off. We had unconfirmed reports of an electrical fault.

“The fire brigade was called and an evacuation was carried out in accordance with our standard operating procedures.

“Play had finished I think at about 8:00pm, so it was long after play had finished. So hopefully, if it was in a restaurant, which it possibly might have been, it would have been clear of the public.

“Since then we are waiting for further news. Until we carry out a full investigation we cannot say any more,” he added.

The spokesman there were no reports of injuries.

* All Offers and Promotions posted in this article excludes NSW residents.
Stay up to date with the latest sports news
Follow our social accounts to get exclusive content and all the latest sporting news!