Wildcats unleash amazing shot in NBL win

Perth Wildcats guard Jarrod Kenny ensured he hit this season’s highlights reel with a near full-court three-pointer in his team’s 95-72 NBL win over Illawarra Hawks on Thursday night.

With the clock winding down for three-quarter time, Kenny threw a Hail Mary from the three-point line of his own defensive end.

The heaving Perth Arena crowd went crazy as the ball sailed in.

And more importantly, it gave the Wildcats a 72-57 lead at three-quarter time, allowing the home side to cruise to victory.

The result lifted Perth one game clear of the third-placed Hawks, putting the Wildcats in the box seat to secure home court advantage for the semi-finals.

It also gave the Wildcats a 4-0 season sweep over Illawarra and their former coach Rob Beveridge this season.

The Hawks haven’t won in Perth since November 5, 2005, with the side enduring 21 straight losses in Western Australia.

Wildcats import Casey Prather (20 points) played a crucial role in the win, while Jesse Wagstaff (14) nailed a series of clutch three-pointers.

American Jermaine Beal produced a huge final term to finish with 22 points.

The Hawks struggled for scoring power without injured sharpshooter Kirk Penney (hamstring).

Star Hawk Kevin Lisch, who scored 40 points against NZ last Sunday, was on track for another big night after draining eight points in the opening term.

But Wildcats guard Damian Martin clamped down on the former league MVP from that point on, with Lisch forced to settle for a modest 14 points.

Power Hawks forward Oscar Forman scored 17 points, while Tim Coenraad chipped in with 16.

A windmill dunk from Prather got the home crowd going wild early in the match.

But two long-range bombs from Lisch ensured scores were locked at 22-22 at quarter time.

Forman shot to life after the break, nailing a trio of three-pointers to give his side a 10-point advantage midway through the second quarter.

But the Wildcats turned the tables in devastating fashion, unleashing an 18-4 run to take a four-point lead into half-time.

Wagstaff’s hot hand from beyond the arc ensured the lead continued to expand in the third quarter.

And when Kenny nailed his outrageous buzzer beater, it was effectively game over.

Seconds before making the shot, Kenny received a bake from Wildcats coach Trevor Gleeson.

But there was nothing but love after he nailed the long-range prayer.

* All Offers and Promotions posted in this article excludes NSW residents.
Stay up to date with the latest sports news
Follow our social accounts to get exclusive content and all the latest sporting news!