Bernard Tomic knows he’s on his last chance after gaining a Davis Cup reprieve for Australia’s semi-final with Great Britain.
Tomic has replaced Nick Kyrgios for the indoor hardcourt tie in Glasgow starting next Friday after being banned from Australia’s quarter-final win over Kazakhstan in Darwin for attacking the integrity of Tennis Australia bosses at Wimbledon.
While his impressive 14-2 win-loss representing his country can’t be faulted, Tomic’s off-field conduct has repeatedly landed the the Australian No.1 in hot water.
Tomic’s legal team will be in a Miami court the day after the semi-final tie defending allegations of resisting police without violence and trespassing at a house party the weekend of Australia’s epic triumph over Kazakhstan.
The TA board, which must approve any team naming, and Masur have once again shown a strong hand by dumping Kyrgios while he “regroups” after spending the past two months embroiled in controversy.
Now, a week after candidly admitting that he and Kyrgios had given Australian tennis an image problem, Tomic has been placed on his final warning.
Describing Australia as a “proud Davis Cup nation”, Masur said it had taken a lot of time and effort from many people to build bridges with the world No.24 before he could even be considered for a recall.
“The focus has been on helping Bernie understand the consequences of his actions and then assessing how serious he is about committing to a consistent effort to improve his behaviour,” Masur said.
“So far he has demonstrated a will to change and backed that up with his actions.
“But it is a long road and he is now very acutely aware of the consequences of any future transgressions.
“He has been selected with this understanding in mind and, it is fair to say, very little room for error in the future.”