Tyson Fury is facing fresh questions about his boxing future as his promoters refused to comment on reports the world heavyweight champion has tested positive for cocaine.
A spokesman for Hennessy Sports declined to discuss the claims, which originally came from ESPN.
When contacted by PA Sport, the spokesman said the Fury camp would not be making a statement.
The US-based sports broadcaster reported Fury tested positive after giving a urine sample on September 22.
Fury had been due to fight Wladimir Klitschko in Manchester on October 29, defending the WBA and WBO heavyweight belts he took off the Ukrainian last November.
One attempt at a rematch had already been abandoned because of an ankle injury sustained by Fury, and his management cited medical reasons behind the latest cancellation last week.
A source close to the planned fight told PA Sport he had been informed “traces” of cocaine were found in Fury’s system. The 28-year-old fighter’s camp would not confirm that.
ESPN reported Fury was tested by the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (VADA), which is based in Las Vegas, as part of the routine agreed by both fighters before the fight.
Providing the test was taken on an out-of-competition basis, Fury stands to face no sanctions such as a ban. Cocaine, while being an illegal Class A drug, is not banned out of competition.
It remains to be seen whether he loses his belts, having failed to make a title defence this year.
One previous attempt at a rematch with Klitschko had also been abandoned, with a July 9 date falling by the wayside because of an ankle injury sustained by Fury.
After Fury’s injury it then emerged that UK-Anti Doping (UKAD) had charged the champion over a urine sample taken in February 2015, and his cousin Hughie with a doping offence.
It was alleged the sample – taken nine months before Tyson Fury’s defeat of Klitschko – contained traces of the banned substance nandrolone. Fury was provisionally suspended, but that ban has since been lifted, and his legal team said they would be suing UKAD over the allegations. His hearing will be held in November.
Fury failed to show for a September 12 press conference to promote his rematch with Klitschko as his camp said his car had broken down.
Speaking earlier this week, Fury’s trainer and uncle Peter Fury said the champion needed time away from boxing, and ruled out a clash with Klitschko this year.
He told BaylorIC TV Boxing Channel: “Our priority for Tyson is that he’s 100 per cent in a happy place. When he is the guy is dangerous.
“I don’t want to see him step one foot in that ring until I’ve got a 100 per cent Tyson Fury back, mentally and physically.
“Until that happens the best place is where he is – relaxing at home. It certainly won’t be this year now. It’ll probably be early next year that he’ll be back.”
Peter Fury said in a separate interview with iFL TV that his nephew was “at an all-time low” and almost “at breaking point”.
“He is seeking help….basically nothing means anything,” Peter Fury said.
“He’s at an all-time low. I think he’s always been a little up and down in the past, a bit volatile, always has been, but never like this.”