Reds denied Super Rugby win at the death

A penalty goal after the siren from Blues five-eighth Ihaia West on Saturday night denied Queensland their first win of the Super Rugby season.

Second-half tries from Eto Nabuli and Jake McIntyre put the Reds 10 points in front and seemed set to give co-interim coaches Nick Stiles and Matt O’Connor their first victory, but substitute halfback Billy Guyton dived over six minutes from time and then the penalty after the siren left the game all-square at 25-25.

The Blues went into the second half at Suncorp Stadium with a 15-13 advantage thanks to tries by West and Bryn Hall, against one from Chris Feauai-Sautia.

The visitors, who have not won an away game since a June 2014 victory over the Western Force, looked the better side for most of the game but, at times, seemed to be doing all they could to keep the game competitive.

As exciting as they were in attack, though, with flair throughout their backline and forwards, their indiscipline was just as evident with a 14-7 penalty count against them.

The first try came in the ninth minute when, after a Blues lineout, miscommunication from McIntyre and Anthony Faingaa gifted the Blues the opening score.

West flicked a pass to debutant Reiko Ioane who broke the line untouched inside Faingaa and fed back to his No.10 inside for an easy score.

McIntyre made amends, aiming a high ball at Blues diminutive winger Tevita Li three minutes later and he was beaten in the air by Chris Feauai-Sautia who ran 40 metres after grasping the ball, shrugging off despairing tacklers.

Disjointed Reds defence enabled the Blues to score again as quick long passes found Lolagi Visinia out wide just inside his own half and, after dummying to Li, he passed inside to Hall on the 10m line and he scored.

The game turned in the 54th minute when Nick Frisby passed to the exciting Nabuli, in off the Reds’ left wing, who broke the line midfield, raced towards the tryline and passed inside for Samu Kerevi to score.

Five minutes later, McIntytre’s try came after superb play from Frisby. McIntyre broke through on the left flank, passing inside to Nabuli who then sent the ball to Frisby. The halfback expertly drew three Blues close to the line before passing wide to McIntyre to dive in on the touchline.

Guyton dived over from close range to keep the Blues in the game and, despite the sin-binning of Sione Mafileo, they camped inside Reds territory, before eventually taking the penalty for a draw.

The Blues have a win and a draw from four games, while the Reds stay at the foot of the Australian Conference with a draw and three defeats.

* All Offers and Promotions posted in this article excludes NSW residents.
Stay up to date with the latest sports news
Follow our social accounts to get exclusive content and all the latest sporting news!