Reds blunted in Horwill, Genia’s farewell

The Chiefs have ruined James Horwill and Will Genia’s Suncorp Stadium farewell with a 24-3 win over the Queensland Reds on Saturday.

In the veteran pair’s final home game as Reds players ahead of overseas switches next year, the Chiefs crossed three times and but for a sixth minute Quade Cooper penalty goal, held the hosts scoreless in a dominant display.

It was a return to the disappointment that has marked this Super Rugby campaign for the Reds, who were unable to back up last week’s dominant win over the Western Force which had pointed to a possible late-season revival.

A crowd of 25,841 turned up in the hope the Reds could put together successive wins for the first time this year in honour of Horwill and Genia, who have combined for 232 Super Rugby appearances and 116 Wallabies caps between them.

Perhaps stirred by the occasion, the Reds made a promising start, controlling the majority of possession and territory across most of the first half.

But their failure to turn that pressure into points ultimately cost them, and not for the first time this season.

Cooper’s early penalty was all the Reds had to show for their toil and despite multiple chances to draw first blood, it was the Chiefs who struck first in the 26th minute.

Lively halfback Augustine Pulu created the opportunity, carving out space for winger Bryce Heem to score with a wicked pass off the back of a scrum.

Then just past the half-hour mark, the Chiefs were in again, catching Queensland with their pants down on their own tryline.

Liam Messam’s run from deep exposed a yawning gap between the ruck and the nearest player, Horwill, who could only look on in horror as the Chiefs flanker surged past to score a simple try.

Andrew Horrell converted both, giving the visitors a 14-3 lead, which remained intact despite a furious but ultimately fruitless attacking raid after the half-time siren from the Reds.

The sin-binning of Chiefs number eight Michael Leitch just before the break opened up some opportunities for Queensland early in the second half, but again they couldn’t find a way through.

Their card was marked with 10 minutes to go, when Charlie Ngatai touched down to snuff out whatever faint hope was left for the Reds.

* All Offers and Promotions posted in this article excludes NSW residents.
Stay up to date with the latest sports news
Follow our social accounts to get exclusive content and all the latest sporting news!