Canes beat Chiefs to book home rugby final

Two flashes of Beauden Barrett genius have booked the Hurricanes a second-successive Super Rugby final appearance following a 25-9 win over the Chiefs.

Brilliant playmaker Barrett created one long-range try and scored another in Saturday’s first half of a rugged semi-final.

His side will return to Wellington next weekend, hoping to improve on last year’s loss in the decider to the Highlanders.

It could be a repeat of that game, with the Highlanders facing the Lions late on Saturday night (2300 AEST) in the second semi-final in Johannesburg.

Whoever qualifies will need to find a way to quell All Blacks game-breaker Barrett, along with flanker Ardie Savea, who was immense in both attack and defence.

Without the pair, the home side might have struggled to overcome a Chiefs side who held sway at scrum and lineout time and dominated territory in cold, blustery conditions.

The Hurricanes stubbornly protected their tryline against a Chiefs side who had scored 76 tries this season, including eight in last week’s quarter-final rout of the Stormers.

The travel could be one explanation for an error-riddled Chiefs attacking display, the two-time champions unable to conjure the brilliant finishing that has been a trademark of their season. Three penalties to fullback Damian McKenzie provided their only points.

It was the top-seeded Hurricanes who capitalised on their chances, leading 15-6 at halftime courtesy of Barrett’s speed and anticipation.

He broke the game open in the seventh minute from 75m out when he received turnover ball. A chip and regather was followed by a searing looping run before linking with inside centre Willis Halaholo to complete a memorable try.

McKenzie and Barrett traded penalties before the Hurricanes’ No.10 intercepted a loose pass from Chiefs co-captain Sam Cane and raced 55m.

The outcome was virtually sealed when No.8 Victor Vito, playing his second-last game for the Hurricanes, drove across after some nice deception off the back of the scrum.

The Chiefs dominated the last half-hour, but trading penalty goals was all they could muster, with the visitors still unable to cross, while the Hurricanes’ winger Cory Jane was in the sin bin for a deliberate infringement.

Victory was the seventh in a row for the Hurricanes, the only New Zealand team still to win a Super Rugby title.

They will hope captain Dane Coles will be fit, with the All Blacks’ hooker ruled out of the match with a rib injury.

* All Offers and Promotions posted in this article excludes NSW residents.
Stay up to date with the latest sports news
Follow our social accounts to get exclusive content and all the latest sporting news!