Williams earns Canterbury recall

20160612_091110.jpg
Williams earns Canterbury recall

Out-of-form Canterbury enforcer Tony Williams has been given a reprieve from reserve grade after being recalled into Des Hasler’s NRL side to take on St George Illawarra on Monday.

Dropped last month after a string of poor performances, Williams has a chance to make a statement about his place in the squad after Adam Elliott succumbed to a hamstring injury.

Hasler confirmed Williams would come off the bench against the Dragons at ANZ Stadium and wanted to see the former NSW and Australian back-rower back to his terrorising best.

“He’s just had to put his head down again,” Hasler said on Sunday.

“He knew he wasn’t playing well and he’s gone back and he’s worked hard and he gets an opportunity.”

Williams has been battling a hamstring injury but Hasler said he had done enough to earn a recall.

The 27-year-old is in the final year of his contract and after being demoted had been linked to an early exit from Belmore.

Hasler is searching for a way reignite the notoriously inconsistent Williams, who at the height of his powers was one of the most damaging forwards in the game.

Hasler also said representative forwards Josh Jackson and Greg Eastwood were close to re-signing.

“They’re not going anywhere,” Hasler said.

* All Offers and Promotions posted in this article excludes NSW residents.
Stay up to date with the latest sports news
Follow our social accounts to get exclusive content and all the latest sporting news!