Parramatta board member Geoff Gerard has pointed the finger at some of his fellow directors, accusing them of being misleading at the height of the salary cap scandal.
Chairman Steve Sharp, deputy chairman Tom Issa and director Peter Serrao have been given show-cause notices and provisionally suspended by the NRL after the club was accused of systematic salary cap cheating.
While the trio, along with chief executive John Boulous and football operations manager Daniel Anderson, have a month to answer the charges, Gerard said that they deceived the board at several steps along the way.
“All I can say is that obviously with some of the information that has come out, not all of it was shared with the full board,” Gerard told Triple M on Saturday.
Gerard and fellow board members Tanya Gadiel, Andrew Cordwell and Paul Garrard were not given show cause notices by the NRL and have been tasked with picking up the pieces along with Parramatta Leagues Club chief executive Bevan Paul, who has been appointed group CEO.
The former Parramatta, Manly and Penrith prop said Sharp deserves the right to respond to the NRL’s claims.
But he says Sharp held back information about the club’s salary cap position and the rest of the board was up until last month given assurances that they were cap compliant.
“We have separate committees on the board – one being the recruitment and retention committee and the other being the salary cap committee,” Gerard said.
“I wasn’t on those. I can assure you the board members every month would ask `where are we with the salary cap?’ The last month, I sat in the board meeting and I was told we were $340,000 under the cap.”
The salary cap scandal has thrown the club into crisis with the side facing being stripped of 12 competition points and a $1 million fine.
The Eels have also been forced to shed Anthony Watmough, Nathan Peats and Ryan Morgan.