We have nothing to hide, say Cowboys

North Queensland say they welcome any investigation into alleged salary cap irregularities at the NRL club.

Fairfax Media on Tuesday raised a series of claims in regard to property deals involving Cowboys stars including Johnathan Thurston, James Tamou and Matt Scott.

According to the investigation, 10 Cowboys players purchased vacant blocks of land and apartments from club chairman Laurence Lancini.

The purchase of the properties could, if proven, contravene salary cap rules. However there is no suggestion individual players have broken rules.

On Tuesday afternoon the NRL released a statement saying they have already conducted a review into allegations raised in regard to possible salary cap dramas at the club, and will only reopen an investigation if further information becomes available.

“Salary cap auditors had already reviewed some of the matters raised about the Cowboys today and had determined no further action was required,” the statement read.

The NRL’s head of integrity, Nick Weeks, under whose auspices salary cap operations fall, said new information would need to be presented if the Cowboys were to be investigated further.

“As any new information becomes available it will be reviewed by the auditors,” Weeks said in the statement.

The Cowboys then released their own statement asserting they had nothing to hide from any potential renewed salary cap investigation.

“While no specific allegations against the Cowboys were made in the article, the club respects that the NRL may want to speak with the club to discuss any matters relating to issues raised. The club welcomes these discussions,” the statement read.

“It also welcomed the NRL’s statement on Tuesday saying after a review of some of the matters raised, that ‘no further action was required’.

“The Cowboys have always acted within the rules of the NRL in relation to the salary cap, which is a fundamental component in ensuring parity across the competition’s 16 teams.”

Cowboys coach Paul Green said he wasn’t concerned by the allegations.

“I have full confidence in the leadership of the club,” he said.

“It has been a well run club for a number of years now and it is not usual for high profile sportsmen to invest.”

The NRL is currently investigating claims made last week by Fairfax media last week of alleged salary cap rorting at Parramatta.

* All Offers and Promotions posted in this article excludes NSW residents.
Stay up to date with the latest sports news
Follow our social accounts to get exclusive content and all the latest sporting news!