Manly back-rower Tom Symonds could be in line for an early-season transfer after attracting interest from up to four rival NRL clubs.
Symonds, who is off contract at the end of the season, has been relegated to reserve grade by new Sea Eagles coach Trent Barrett for the opening two rounds of the season.
The move has prompted a number of clubs to contact the versatile forward’s manager, Gavin Orr, about landing Symonds’ services this season.
“He’s not as happy as he probably should be,” Orr told AAP on Thursday.
“Clubs are sounding him out because they can see he started in reserve grade and they’re asking why the bloody hell that is.”
Orr said Symonds was keeping a close watch on the situation.
“He wants to know everything that is going on around him,” the manager said.
“It’s up to him if he wants to dig deep and get back into the starting team for Manly … or have a look elsewhere and see what other options there are for him.”
Symonds was left unhappy after being overlooked for a bench spot in last week’s opening-round loss to Canterbury.
Barrett made a number of changes for Monday night’s match against the Wests Tigers, including dropping back-rower Blake Leary to reserve grade and relegating second-rower Nathan Green to the bench.
However he has also shifted Jake Trbojevic to lock and elevated prop Brenton Lawrence from reserve grade, meaning there was again no room for the Sydney Rooster junior.
It is understood that a number of the clubs pursuing Symonds have suffered serious injuries in their back row.
South Sydney, Parramatta, the Roosters and Warriors could therefore firm as perfect fits, while it is believed Melbourne are also in the hunt for the 27-year-old’s signature.
Symonds was one of Manly’s most reliable players in 2015, impressing in 20 appearances despite often being shifted to the backs mid-match as cover in the injury-plagued team.