Smith says McKinnon issue private

Melbourne NRL skipper Cameron Smith says his response to the Alex McKinnon interview on the Nine Network will be handled privately.

Smith was speaking after the Storm’s 28-14 loss to the Warriors in Auckland on Sunday.

The match came a week after the hooker came in for some heavy criticism in a 60 Minutes program on former Newcastle forward McKinnon.

It was also four days after he led Queensland to a record victory in the State of Origin decider.

“It was great to win on Wednesday night and you have to adjust quickly to come back to club football,” Smith told the post-match press conference.

“But the personal stuff going around at the moment, that will be handled privately.”

In last Sunday’s show, McKinnon voiced his anger over on-field comments Smith made after the tackle that left him a quadriplegic in March last year.

Smith, who was not granted a right of reply, maintained his vow not to speak the Nine Network during the third State of Origin match in Brisbane.

On Friday, he backed out of a chance to respond to the program, pulling out of a scheduled interview with Fox Sport.

* All Offers and Promotions posted in this article excludes NSW residents.
Stay up to date with the latest sports news
Follow our social accounts to get exclusive content and all the latest sporting news!