Sio special as Hull KR see off Widnes

Ken Sio has grabbed a hat-trick to help Hull KR relaunch their play-off push with a 38-16 English Super League victory over Widnes Vikings.

Rovers came into the clash off the back of three straight defeats and just one win to their name since early April – a run that saw them slip to 10th in the table.

However, ex-Parramatta Eels flyer Sio inspired his side to an overdue victory – crossing in the first half and adding two more as the hosts cut loose after the break – to move them within two points of the top eight.

There was a try double for wing Josh Mantellato – who also kicked three goals – while Kris Welham and Albert Kelly each crossed in the first half.

Stefan Marsh, Kevin Brown and Chris Dean dotted down for Widnes but they never looked likely to overturn a 16-point deficit at the break.

Salford Red Devils also picked up a much-needed two points with a 24-16 victory – their sixth win in Super League this season – at Wakefield Wildcats.

New Zealand-born forward Harrison Hansen scored a pair of tries, while Scott Taylor and unsettled scrum-half Theo Fages also touched down for the visitors.

Elsewhere, Huddersfield Giants came from behind with a superb second-half showing to beat Warrington 30-19 and open up a two-point gap back to the Wolves in sixth.

Warrington had led 13-6 at half-time but Jermaine McGillvary grabbed a pair of tries after the break as the Giants turned the game on its head.

There were also tries for Jared Simpson, Jodie Broughton and Jake Connor as Huddersfield joined Castleford Tigers on 20 points in a tight race for the top four.

On Saturday, Catalans Dragons leapfrogged Hull FC with a 20-14 win to give their play-off chances a shot.

They didn’t have it all their own way, though, and were almost pegged back late on but Fetuli Talanoa’s try was ruled out for obstruction.

Thomas Bosc, Tony Gigot and Gregory Mounis tries, all converted by Scott Dureau, proved to be enough for the hosts despite Jordan Rankin and Mark Minichiello each crossing.

Talanoa then had his effort chalked off 10 minutes from time before a Dureau penalty goal sealed the points for the Dragons.

St Helens moved top with a 30-14 triumph over title rivals Wigan Warriors at Langtree Park as visiting fullback Matt Bowen endured an evening to forget.

All eyes were on Wigan prop Ben Flower, facing St Helens for the first time since he was sent off for punching Lance Hohaia in last year’s grand final.

But Bowen was the villain, fumbling a pair of Jon Wilkin kicks that led to two of the hosts’ five tries.

And Saints only had the opportunity to go top after leaders Leeds Rhinos were beaten at home by Castleford Tigers the previous night.

The Tigers scored three tries in the space of five frantic first-half minutes before a Denny Solomona double after the break got them over the line for a 31-24 victory.

* All Offers and Promotions posted in this article excludes NSW residents.
Stay up to date with the latest sports news
Follow our social accounts to get exclusive content and all the latest sporting news!