Robbie Farah to the Sydney Roosters.
That’s the latest twist in the long-running soap opera surrounding the Wests Tigers NRL star after the joint venture confirmed on Saturday Farah had requested a release from the final two years of his contract.
A hurdle in that release being granted is that Farah is believed to want a complete payout of his contract which is said to be worth nearly $2 million.
Tigers boss Justin Pascoe said the club would work with Farah’s representatives to ensure the terms of the settlement were agreeable to both parties.
“Any decision taken in regards to this release will consider the club’s responsibility and commitment to ensuring this club transfers itself into a strong position for a sustainable future,” Pascoe said in a statement.
“As such, Robbie will remain a part of his this club until such an agreement is reached.”
Reports surfaced on Saturday morning that Farah’s manager Sam Ayoub emailed the Tigers on Friday night, saying his client wanted an immediate release.
Not long after the news broke, the Roosters emerged as a shock contender for the 31-year-old NSW Origin star’s services.
The 238-game Tigers stalwart had also been linked to Penrith, Manly, South Sydney and St George Illawarra before the Roosters jumped from the pack.
Fairfax Media said on Saturday Farah had been in secret talks about moving to the Roosters who already boast an outstanding hooker in Jake Friend.
It’s believed Farah is viewed by the Tricolours as a potentially valuable addition to their squad but they wouldn’t be bumping Friend out of his current role.
Farah had been heavily linked with the Dragons and his former Tigers teammate and now St George Illawarra playmaker Benji Marshall would love to see him in the Red V.
“Absolutely I would,” said Marshall on Friday.
“He is a class player. The problem is we have a class hooker in Mitchell Rein.
“So if Mitch is at the club, I think he has a great future, he is a future Origin star, and if Robbie joins the ranks that is another extra hooker on the books.”
The latest developments in the Farah saga come after Tigers coach Jason Taylor said earlier this week he was confident the veteran would stay at the club.
Farah was given permission by the Tigers to talk with other clubs in August after being told he would play reserve grade if he remained at Concord.