Momentum is building for John Quayle to join the ARL Commission after QRL boss Peter Betros confirmed he would support constitutional change that would allow the ex-ARL CEO’s entry.
Quayle has been championed by disgruntled NRL clubs as a replacement for besieged ARLC chairman John Grant.
However, Quayle faces a road block as an incumbent Newcastle Knights director.
The constitution disqualifies anyone who has held an official position with a club or state body within the previous three years from becoming a commissioner.
Betros has been a vocal critic of the unhappy NRL clubs’ quest to vote out Grant at an emergency meeting on December 20.
But Betros did support a proposed change that would “relax” the three year rule for becoming a commissioner, a tweak that would open the door for Quayle.
“We support tweaks to how long they have been out of the game,” he told AAP.
“We might have to relax that rule a little bit.
“That’s the constitutional change we would be in favour of.”
A constitutional change would also allow the likes of QRL board member and former Queensland treasurer Terry Mackenroth to join as a commissioner.
The QRL and NSWRL have the right to veto any changes to the constitution.
Betros said they wanted to keep that right unlike the NSWRL who are willing to surrender it in return for a seat on the eight-strong commission.
But Betros saw merit in the NRL clubs nominating two seats on the commission, as long as the majority were independent.
“We would like to see the clubs have the ability to nominate a couple of commissioners,” he said.
“And if the clubs were going to have that right we would like to see the states have the right to nominate a commissioner as well.
“But the overall majority of the commissioners should be independent, that’s the way it should function.”
Betros was confident they could avoid the December 20 meeting after NRL clubs resumed funding talks with Grant on Monday.
Talks were postponed indefinitely last week after Grant fell out with NRL clubs by reneging on a 12-month-old funding agreement.
He withdrew a memorandum of understanding which pledged an extra $100 million per year to clubs from 2018.
But Betros was encouraged by NRL clubs representative – Melbourne chair Bart Campbell – returning to the negotiation table with Grant on Monday night.
Their marathon session did not find a resolution but both parties have agreed to continue talks.