Days after being ear marked for a 2016 State of Origin debut, Brisbane’s Anthony Milford has become embroiled in a Queensland Rugby League probe that has already resulted in two players copping 12 month bans.
Cronulla’s Valentine Holmes and Melbourne’s Cameron Munster won’t be considered for Origin selection this year after breaking curfew at new coach Kevin Walters’ disastrous Emerging Origin camp in Brisbane on the weekend.
Holmes is also being investigated by the NRL Integrity Unit after copping on the spot fines totalling $1412 for obstructing police and public nuisance at a Fortitude Valley cab rank early on Sunday morning.
And the QRL have not ruled out announcing more suspensions after reports emerged that up to four other players defied Walters at his first official event as Maroons coach and broke curfew.
Fox Sports and Nine Network identified the other four players as Milford and Brisbane teammate Jarrod Wallace, Newcastle’s Korbin Sims and Sydney Roosters prop Dylan Napa.
Fairfax Media reported Munster was not with Holmes when fined by Queensland Police but the pair copped bans after refusing to tell the QRL who else broke curfew following a team dinner on Saturday night.
Earlier on Saturday, Walters had spoken highly of Milford’s 2016 Origin chances.
Walters said “Blind Freddy” could see Milford was destined for Origin as early as this year after helping guide Brisbane to the 2015 NRL grand final.
“He had a great season last year in a lot of ways and, if he continues to improve the way that he has the last couple of years, he’s got Origin written all over him,” Walters told reporters at the camp launch.
QRL boss Peter Betros said Walters was keen to stamp his authority in the investigation after taking over from the hugely successful Mal Meninga.
“Kevin is very disappointed in them,” he told AAP.
“He is strong on discipline.
“He feels those players (who) don’t want to buy into what he is doing with Queensland, they can go back to club land.”
Bans would be a body blow for big men Napa and Sims just as they also appeared on the precipice of an official Maroons nod.
Napa was an 18th man for Queensland last series and Sims had also been named in an extended Maroons squad in 2015.