Veteran Manly prop Willie Mason has called on the NRL to take an even tougher stance on concussion.
Mason spoke out on Wednesday after South Sydney named Kyle Turner in their team this week despite the sickening head knock he copped three days ago.
The Rabbitohs back-rower suffered his seventh concussion in two years against Penrith on Sunday in his return to the NRL after neck surgery.
Souths coach Michael Maguire hasn’t ruled out playing Turner against the Sea Eagles at Brookvale on Friday, but he said on Wednesday no decision had been made yet and Turner was under close medical supervision.
The NRL has considerably strengthened it rules regarding concussions over the past two seasons.
But Mason, who is playing his 16th season of first grade, believes the game’s governing body need to do more.
“I think the club or the NRL need to take a lot harder look at players in that situation,” Mason said on Wednesday.
“The protocol is there but if you get knocked out in boxing you have a mandatory three months out.
“(Manly teammate) Steve Matai two weeks ago was out cold. He couldn’t pass the test last week, now this week he is fine.
“You have all those brain surgeons out there saying that boxers aren’t allowed to box after three months because of trauma to the brain like that.
“But we can just go out (again) and play probably one of the most ferocious, physical games in the world.”