The “destructive” pursuit of John Grant’s job highlights NRL clubs’ selfishness in the battle for the game’s funding, according to Queensland Rugby League chairman Peter Betros.
Betros has backed Australian Rugby League Commission chairman Grant and urged disgruntled clubs, who have called an emergency general meeting on December 20 in a bid to oust him, to lay off.
“I think it’s a completely selfish move,” Betros told News Corp Australia.
“They need to give John a chance to remedy the situation and find a solution for all parties.”
Grant’s relationship with the clubs has deteriorated since the ARLC reneged on a 12-month-old funding agreement.
Clubs require a minimum 14 votes from the game’s 26 shareholders – the 16 clubs, NSWRL, eight commissioners and the QRL represented by Betros – to remove Grant.
Fourteen clubs , excluding the NRL-owned Gold Coast and Newcastle, signed a letter to the ARLC backing the emergency meeting.
But Betros said there had been little effort from clubs to return to the negotiation table in good faith over the disputed funding.
“The olive branch has been offered by John and the Commission to come back into the room and sort it out,” Betros said.
“I’d like to call on the (14) other clubs to put their anger aside for the time being and see if we can work out a solution rather than go down the destructive path of trying to get rid of a chairman who has been absolutely outstanding for the game.”
Grant, who has the support of his seven fellow ARLC directors, on Tuesday denied his position was untenable.
He has indicated he would stay in the position ahead of the December EGM as he attempts to bring the clubs back to table.