Warriors centre Konrad Hurrell says it’s a difficult process, but he’s determined to change his running style after shattering Cronulla backrower Anthony Tupou’s jaw with a raised knee.
Hurrell has two more NRL games to sit out as part of a three-match ban for the incident in the Warriors’ 20-16 win over the Sharks.
“I’ve been running like that my whole life,” he said on Wednesday.
“I have to change that. It’s going to be hard but I have to. I don’t want to put someone else in danger and I don’t want it to happen to myself.”
Hurrell, who is in his fourth NRL season, said he raised a knee for extra power and as protection “from getting smashed”.
The 23-year-old said the Warriors coaching staff had been working with him on changing his technique and running through the tackle.
Tupou was taken to hospital while the match was going on and had surgery the following day. It is not known when he might be able to return to action.
Hurrell said he had made contact with Tupou, a fellow Tonga international, to explain that there was no intent to cause injury.
“He’s a good bloke on and off the field, and he’s a legend in the game, so I feel stink for what I did,” he said.
The Warriors have a bye this week, which means the earliest Hurrell can play again is in the home match against the Sydney Roosters on June 13.
After a stop-start season punctuated by injury, he sees the enforced break as a chance to get over niggles and work on his fitness and strength.
But it’s still frustrating being a spectator when not injured.
“It’s amazing when we’re winning,” Hurrell said.
“But when we’re down, it’s pretty hard to watch.”