It’s still under management but Gold Coast captain Nate Myles is confident he can return from a calf injury in Saturday’s NRL clash with the Warriors.
The 29-year-old suffered the cork to his calf earlier in the year during a training ground collision with Caleb Binge.
Despite playing through the injury for most of the season, a second knock in the same area in the Titans’ win against Parramatta two weeks ago caused further damage.
That meant the injury started impinging on a nerve in Myles’ lower leg and forced him to withdraw from last weekend’s home win against Penrith.
Myles was still icing his left calf before training on Wednesday but said he expects to be fit enough to take on the Warriors on Anzac Day in Auckland.
“Last week it wasn’t in the best shape and I wasn’t really sure how long it would last but I’ll give it a good test today and it does a feel a lot better,” he said.
“At the moment it feels really good.
“I didn’t really think I had calves until this thing popped up.”
Saturday’s match will be Myles’ last chance to impress before Australia’s team to play New Zealand in Brisbane on May 1 is announced.
Having missed last year’s Four Nations due to a biceps problem, Myles admits he needs to prove himself physically before he can think of regaining his Kangaroos jersey.
“My focus is today and getting through this training session unscathed and then heading over there and being okay to play,” he said.
“I think I’d be a little bit foolish to start thinking about rep footy at the moment.”