Wests Tigers five-eighth Mitchell Moses isn’t interested in any speculation linking Benji Marshall to a return to the NRL club.
Marshall’s manager Martin Tauber met with Tigers chief executive Justin Pascoe last week in a move that signals both parties’ genuine desire to reconnect.
Reports emerged on Tuesday, that Marshall had been offered a one-year $300,000 contract extension by St George Illawarra. It is a move from the Dragons that is unlikely to dampen any desire from the Tigers’ premiership winner to test the open market.
Any move from Marshall could have ramifications for Moses and his Tigers halves partner Luke Brooks, both of whom are free agents at the end of 2016.
“I’m not worried about that,” Moses said at the Tigers’ Concord base on Tuesday.
“I’m just concentrating on my football and the rest will take care of itself.”
Tauber denied Marshall had received a concrete offer from the Dragons. He said his star client has been told by the club it will be two months until they solve a salary cap puzzle that also includes Ben Creagh, Mitch Rein and Joel Thompson.
“We’ve got no firm offers at this stage,” Tauber told AAP.
“They’ve said to him that they can’t give a definitive answer until some time around May.”
Brooks and Moses are both yet to activate clauses in their contracts that will keep them at the Tigers next year, something which Tauber said could open the door for Marshall to return to the club.
“That could very well present an opportunity assuming it fitted in with the club’s goals and aspirations,” Tauber said.
However Tauber said he hasn’t begun any negotiations with the Tigers.
Complicating the matter further for the Dragons is the fact just two players are contracted for the 2018 season.
Despite the current lack of an official offer, Dragons coach Paul McGregor has told Marshall he still has plans for him in 2017.
“We want Benji to stay here,” he said on Sunday.
“There’s no doubting that.”