Monaghan the man as Warrington beat Widnes

Long-time Canberra Raider Joel Monaghan was the last-ditch hero as Warrington denied local rivals Widnes their first away win of the Super League season in dramatic style.

Monaghan piled over the line on Sunday with just 14 seconds left to secure a 22-20 victory, and maintain the Wolves’ momentum after last week’s impressive win over Leeds.

Gene Ormsby and Jack Owens exchanged tries at the start before Wolves pulled away with scores from Monaghan and Daryl Clark.

Stefan Ratchford’s goal increased Warrington’s advantage to 10 points but Paddy Flynn responded just before half-time for the visitors.

Kevin Brown scored twice in quick succession for Widnes, while Owens kicked two goals, but Ben Westwood gave Warrington hope before Monaghan completed the comeback.

Castleford also strung together their second straight win as Grant Millington crossed in a comfortable 36-28 victory over Catalans Dragons on Sunday.

Ashley Gibson (two) and Millington scored in the first half as the hosts grabbed six tries in total, though the Dragons battled hard and 22-year-old Benjamin Garcia saw his efforts rewarded with a hat-trick.

Leaders Leeds threw away the chance to get back on track on Thursday after Huddersfield came from behind to claim a 24-24 draw in the clash between the Yorkshire rivals.

Leeds dropped the departing Kevin Sinfield for the first time in 15 years following their loss to Warrington but, sparked by Brett Delaney’s try, the Rhinos were on course for a win when they led 22-8 at half-time.

However, quickfire tries from Michael Lawrence, Jermaine McGillvary and Joe Wardle hauled the Giants ahead before Leeds’ Liam Sutcliffe kicked a late penalty – and missed a potentially game-winning drop-goal – to end a breathtaking match.

On Friday, Luke Walsh ran in a try-double on just his second start following a broken leg as St Helens crushed bottom club Wakefield 44-4 to go within three points of the Rhinos.

Tommy Makinson and Lewis Charnock also crossed twice, with St Helens out of sight by the break.

The result was good news for the Saints after a week that saw Lance Hohaia retire due to “recurrent post-match concussion-type symptoms” seven months on from twice being punched by Ben Flower in the 2014 Grand Final.

Meanwhile Wigan also moved closer to the summit after a star showing by Sydney-bound Joe Burgess in a 60-0 romp over Hull KR.

Burgess, who will join the Roosters next year, scored a second successive hat-trick to take his tally for the season to 13 league tries.

Taulima Tautai also featured on the scoresheet as Warriors notched 11 tries in total to leave Hull KR without a Super League win in three games.

Setaimata Sa helped breathe new life into Hull FC’s season as his late effort downed a Salford side missing several key players.

The Red Devils had been hit by a string of injuries and suspensions, and their request to postpone the game was turned down by Hull earlier in the week.

Salford were in control for much of the match but Gold Coast Titans legend Mark Minichiello brought Hull back to within two points, before another NRL old boy in Sa pounced in the 71st minute to seal a 24-20 comeback win.

* All Offers and Promotions posted in this article excludes NSW residents.
Stay up to date with the latest sports news
Follow our social accounts to get exclusive content and all the latest sporting news!