Veteran Manly hooker Matt Ballin has admitted he’s been tapped on the shoulder by the Sea Eagles, but says he’s refusing to leave.
Ballin confirmed on Thursday he is one of 14 players reported to be out of favour with the embattled club, despite signing a two-year extension with the club in April.
When asked on Fox Sports if the Sea Eagles had told him he was not wanted, Ballin said: “Yeah it has. I’m fully aware of that.
“I disagree with what their reasons are for it, and I’m going to stand up for what I believe in and what I think is best for the club and myself.
“I decided to stay with the club at the start of the year when things weren’t good, and I wanted to make the club a better place.
“I still hold that same belief and nothing has changed for me.”
Following this week’s long-anticipated sacking of coach Geoff Toovey, chairman Scott Penn ignited speculation a player clean-out was on the cards, indicating there would further changes at Brookvale ahead of the 2016 season when new mentor Trent Barrett arrives.
Last week Manly guaranteed the future of captain Jamie Lyon, but stopped short of offering the same commitment to other players reportedly set to be dumped in the summer, including Luke Burgess, Feleti Mateo, Willie Mason and Justin Horo.