Leeds back on top of Super League table

Joel Moon scored twice as Leeds Rhinos marched back to the top of the Super League table on Sunday with a 32-20 win over Hull FC.

Moon had been struggling with an achilles injury before the game, but coach Brian McDermott’s decision to start him was vindicated as the former Brisbane NRL player touched down either side of halftime.

Danny McGuire scored the opening try and, after Jordan Thompson crossed for Hull, Moon and Jimmy Keinhorst guided Leeds to a 16-6 halftime lead.

In a second-half rally by Hull, Curtis Naughton, Danny Houghton and Fetuli Talanoa all scored, but a string of Kevin Sinfield kicks kept them at bay, before Carl Ablett’s last-second score sealed it.

Despite Brett Ferres seeing red early on, Huddersfield Giants won 30-22 at Widnes Vikings.

After Widnes took the lead through Patrick Ah Van, Ferres was dismissed on 11 minutes for striking Rhys Hanbury.

But replacements Ukuma Ta’ai and Craig Kopczak – as well as Jack Hughes, Luke Robinson and Jodie Broughton – earned the Giants victory, with Widnes registering through Jack Owens and two tries from Kevin Brown.

Three converted tries in the final seven minutes ensured a much-changed Catalans Dragons saw off a plucky challenge from bottom club Wakefield to win 32-12.

Catalans led 12-0 at the interval thanks to early tries from Ben Pomeroy and debutant Krisnan Inu.

But Wakefield, chasing their first win in 16 matches, levelled the scores within 15 minutes of the restart when Chris Riley touched down in the corner and Pita Godinet jinked his way through for the second.

With the game on a knife edge, Catalans turned up the heat on coach Brian Smith’s side in the closing stages as Eloi Pelissier, Morgan Escare and Louis Anderson all crossed.

Wigan Warriors overturned a halftime deficit to beat Salford 19-12.

The visitors snatched the lead in a tight first half through Cory Paterson, with Josh Griffin adding the conversion.

And Salford’s advantage was doubled shortly after the interval with Griffin converting his try to put Salford in sight of a much-needed victory.

But Joe Burgess launched the comeback with his 13th try of the season, before Liam Farrell and Dan Saringson touched down. Matt Smith contributed a valuable seven points with the boot to put the Warriors third on the table.

Hull KR helped themselves to six tries to boost their top-eight ambitions with a 36-10 defeat of Warrington Wolves.

A last-gasp drop goal from fullback Ben Roberts gave Castleford Tigers a 25-24 win over St Helens to kick off the round.

* All Offers and Promotions posted in this article excludes NSW residents.
Stay up to date with the latest sports news
Follow our social accounts to get exclusive content and all the latest sporting news!