With the buzzards circling around the Sea Eagles, Feleti Mateo says it’s up to him and his Manly teammates to drive away the smell of rot.
In yet another week of high drama for Manly, 14 members of the NRL playing squad have reportedly been told they are unwanted by the club next year.
With the proud club heading towards a bottom-eight finish for the first time in 10 years, more than half the playing group including senior players such as Mateo, Matt Ballin, Luke Burgess, Willie Mason and Justin Horo are expected to be shown the door.
Experienced forward Mateo said he planned to be at Manly next year and would not discuss whether he had been told to look elsewhere for season 2016.
“I have one more year left on my contract and I want to honour that,” he said.
Manly are under mounting pressure in 13th spot, with coach Geoff Toovey believed to be on the chopping block and Penrith assistant Trent Barrett being sized up for his position.
He says the only answer to his critics is to prove in the final seven weeks of the season that he is giving the club value for money.
Mateo on Saturday will come up against his former club the Warriors, who he parted ways with last season with two years left on his contract.
Failing to live up to high expectations in Auckland, the 30-year-old is reportedly on big money at Brookvale as well.
He has made 195 first-grade appearances for Parramatta, the Warriors and Sea Eagles and has been linked with a move to Super League side Catalans.
Mateo said his form during his 12 appearances this year had been hindered by injuries and it was up to him to find good touch and secure his future.
“I thought I started off pretty good. I’ve been plagued by injuries this year – it’s been really tough,” he said.
“The whole club’s been hit with injuries so it’s been hard for myself to create combos with people and we’re slowly getting people back on the park and it’s about getting results.”