Sandor Earl is eyeing off a return to the NRL when his four-year doping suspension ends.
Earl was hit with the suspension last month and it means he is ineligible to return to rugby league until August 29, 2017, due to the backdating of the ban.
That means Earl won’t have any chance of returning to rugby league until the 2018 season, if any clubs are interested in his services, when he will be 28.
But the former Sydney Roosters, Penrith and Canberra winger says he wants to play in the NRL again.
In comments supplied to Fairfax Media, Earl said he believed his NRL career wasn’t over.
“In some crazy way I have no regrets over these last two years,” Earl said.
“I have seen and achieved so much that just wouldn’t have been possible. Not just because of rugby league but because I wasn’t mature and experienced enough to achieve it.
“I believe that the penalty for my involvement in trafficking of prohibited substances by my friend to non-athletes is in all the circumstances excessive. It is time to move on and move forward.
“I am extremely grateful for anyone who has supported me and I look forward to lacing up the boots in the NRL.”