Chris Grevsmuhl has emerged as the latest player who could be squeezed out of South Sydney to accommodate the return of Sam Burgess to Redfern.
Grevsmuhl has committed to join Penrith in 2017 however the NRL club is understood to be keen to have the Indigenous All Star with them under new coach Anthony Griffin for 2016.
The Panthers recently turned down the services of fellow Souths back-rower Chris McQueen as they focused on the immediate recruitment of 22-year-old Grevsmuhl.
Souths continue to struggle to free up cap space to pave the way for Burgess’ comeback to the NRL, despite releasing former Kangaroo Dylan Walker earlier this week.
Penrith have some space on their own books for next year and could become a new home for Grevsmuhl.
At a Penrith fan day at Panthers Leagues on Saturday, Griffin was saying little about the future of Grevsmuhl.
However, the former Brisbane mentor admitted the Panthers remained active in the player market.
“That (a possible move for Grevsmuhl) is probably more a question for Souths than us,” Griffin said.
“At the moment, we have a little bit of cap space which everyone knows. If we get a chance to use that positively on the future of the club, we will do that.”
McQueen has been shopped around to rival clubs, but Panthers boss Phil Gould said earlier this week the club had opted to pass on the services of the former Queensland State of Origin representative.
McQueen has also been turned down by Gold Coast, but there is speculation those talks have restarted as the Rabbitohs become more desperate to clear the way for Burgess.
The NRL has so far declined to register Burgess’ three-year contract with Souths due to concerns over the club’s salary cap position in 2016.