Paul Gallen has turned his attention to Cronulla’s clash with the Sydney Roosters following an injury setback that prevented the Sharks and NSW captain from making his long-awaited return to the NRL last weekend.
Gallen, whose hip injury stopped him from participating in the State of Origin series-opening loss to Queensland last week, was widely tipped to play in the Sharks’ 42-6 loss to St George Illawarra at Jubilee Oval on Sunday.
But he was again relegated to the sidelines after pushing himself physically in the lead-up.
“I was probably not really close at the end of the day, but I did my best late last week,” Gallen told 2KY’s Big Sports Breakfast on Tuesday.
“I began full training last week and was pretty good early in the week, then came to a scrimmage session on Thursday night.
“Actually got through the scrimmage session okay but that night just pulled up really sore, and the next day pretty sore again. So obviously the contact and the twisting and pulling was affecting me late last week, but we’ll see how we go this week.”
Gallen is considered almost a guarantee for Sunday’s match against the Roosters, along with Origin II in Melbourne on June 17.
But the club are taking a cautious approach, given a re-injury could easily spell the end of the 33-year-old’s season.
Gallen also rubbished speculation he has already signed an expected new one-year contract with Cronulla that will ensure he remains a one-club man.
“No, that’s not correct … I read that report too and I had a few calls that afternoon. I don’t know how that got out or started,” he said.
However, he said negotiations were close to being finalised.
“Things are positive and heading in the right direction but it’s certainly not signed.”