The future of Parramatta star Kieran Foran is up in the air after he was linked to an exit from the NRL club on Friday due to injury and personal issues.
There were reports on Friday morning that Foran told coach Brad Arthur at training on Thursday of his intention to walk out on a $4.8 million contract with the Eels.
The speculation drew a swift response from the Eels.
“The Parramatta Eels have not received a request from Kieran Foran’s management regarding a release from his contract,” the club said in a statement.
“Kieran’s welfare is the club’s primary concern and the Eels will continue to offer him all the resources available to aid in his recovery.
“The club will be making no further comment on the matter.”
However there is no doubt his contract with the club, which still has three years to run, is in doubt after he was hit with a breach notice and stripped of the captaincy last week.
The Kiwis international is already being linked to a return to Manly.
He could also rejoin former coach Des Hasler, whom he won the 2011 premiership under, at Canterbury, or could decide on a switch to Sydney Roosters to play alongside good mate Mitchell Pearce.
Foran has been ruled out of the rest of the NRL season due to a shoulder injury suffered in round 11.
But has been remiss in attending rehabilitation, something that resulted in him being hit with the breach notice.
The Manly premiership winner has had a troubled year in which he was treated for depression in a Brisbane clinic in late April following an overdose of prescription medicine.
He has also been involved in a battle with the Sea Eagles over $150,000 worth of third-party agreements while playing only nine games for Parramatta.
If Foran does leave the Eels, it could pave the way for Jarryd Hayne to return after his stint in the NFL and his endeavours to play rugby union sevens at the Rio Olympics.
The drama continues a year from hell for Parramatta, labelled their “worst ever” by club great Peter Sterling.