Kieran Foran could reportedly claim up to seven figures in damages if the star five-eighth walks away from his lucrative deal with Parramatta.
The payment is one of the two clauses in Foran’s new multimillion-dollar four-year contract the Eels board claims it had been completely in the dark about, according to News Corp.
The other reportedly allows the New Zealand playmaker to pull out of the deal in the event of board in-fighting or other political dramas like those that have dogged the club in recent years.
Less than a fortnight after the departure of CEO Scott Seward – Parramatta’s fifth CEO in as many years – it came to light that the Manly star could turn his back on the club after it made attempts to alter the terms of his contract.
The board said via a statement on Monday that Seward had negotiated Foran’s contract himself and not informed them he had inserted the two clauses.
“The Eels have been working with the NRL and Kieran Foran’s management on two clauses within his contract that were previously undisclosed to the board and senior football management,” said the club in their statement.
“The discussions have been productive and it is the club’s understanding that issues surrounding these clauses can be resolved.”
It is understood under-fire coach Brad Arthur attended a board meeting on Monday night in a bid to resolve the issue and negotiate the removal of the clauses.
If Foran was to claim damages – reported to be up to one year’s salary of the contract worth a believed $4.8 million – it would worsen the Eels’ salary cap problems.
The club was recently handed a $525,000 fine from the NRL for a raft of salary cap breaches last season.