Michael Ennis is expected to play his first State of Origin game since 2011 on Wednesday night when he fills in for injured NSW hooker Robbie Farah.
Farah’s brave attempt to play the series decider following hand surgery last week is likely to fail.
But the Blues are unlikely to confirm his probable exit from the team until an hour before the 8.22pm kick off at Suncorp Stadium.
NRL rules state that the official team list must be presented one hour before the start of every game.
Ennis has taken part in every training session with the Blues since flying up to their Coffs Harbour base following his trip to the judiciary on Wednesday night.
He was banned from Cronulla’s loss to Manly on Sunday, but a loophole in judiciary rules means he is eligible for game three.
Both Farah and Ennis trained in the Blues’ final session at Suncorp Stadium on Tuesday, but Farah did appear to be still affected by his hand injury.
Farah hasn’t trained fully with the Blues since the operation.
Ennis has a poor Origin record, winning just two of his seven games, but he has been one of the Sharks’ best players this year and his club captain Paul Gallen said he would be ready if he gets the call up to the Blues side.
“He has been great from day one (in camp),” Gallen said.
“He has come in and he hasn’t been shy. He has stepped up and been something of a leader in the side as he has with all sides.
“He will be fine, he knows the game plan inside out, he is a professional.”
Coach Mal Meninga said Queensland are ready for any eventuality.
“We have prepared for Mick playing and Robbie playing,” Meninga said.
“We have done a bit of work on them, either or we are prepared for them.”