The Parramatta Eels have released a statement saying they will challenge the NRL’s ruling on salary cap breaches.
Parramatta were hit with a preliminary breach notice of $525,000 on Thursday for overspending in all four of the game’s salary cap categories last year.
Eels chairman Steve Sharp released a statement on Saturday, outlining the club’s stance.
“Today, the board of the Parramatta Leagues Club has reviewed the preliminary breach notice issued to the Parramatta National Rugby League club this week by the National Rugby League (NRL) in detail and resolved to challenge the ruling on a range of matters,” Sharp said in a statement.
“The club has been working with the NRL regarding its inherited salary cap position since originally drawing it to the attention of the NRL in July 2013, and again on multiple occasions throughout 2014.
The Eels are particularly upset at the stipulation they must conduct an independent governance review and implement recommendations from it by February or start the 2016 NRL season minus four competition points.
“The club believes the proposed penalties do not acknowledge Parramatta’s willingness to be open and transparent with the NRL at all times,” Sharp said.
“The club’s view is that the threat of deducting competition points is a breach of trust from the NRL against a club that has already instituted sweeping reforms across the organisation.
“The current Eels administration is the only NRL club administration to have attempted constitutional change consistent with the NRL’s governance policy; and the only current NRL club with a constitutional reform committee, led by a newly-elected and united board, with a diverse skill set and experience, committed to initiating further corporate governance changes.”