The man who brought NRL star Kieran Foran to Parramatta is now resigned to losing the troubled playmaker to a rival team.
Eels coach Brad Arthur admits Foran has all but played his final game in the blue and gold after requesting a release from the club.
Despite three years remaining on his lucrative contract, Arthur said he doesn’t expect the New Zealand international to remain on the roster next season.
“Well, he’s asked for a release,” Arthur said on Friday.
Arthur, a former assistant coach at Manly, was considered instrumental in bringing the ex-Sea Eagles five-eighth to the Eels over the summer on what was a reported $5 million deal.
But after just seven games, Foran, who hasn’t played since suffering a season-ending shoulder injury in round 12, has already been linked to a move to Canterbury.
Asked if it would be tough to see Foran walk away, Arthur said: “Look, it’s not tough.
“Kieran’s got to do what’s best for him, for his health. I’m supportive of that. I’ve got 38 other players here that I need to focus on.”
Pressed on whether he’d be disappointed seeing Foran in another jumper, he said: “That’s up to Kieran.”
Foran’s expected departure would leave the Eels flush with cash in their salary cap to hit the free agent market, which could include code-hopping superstar Jarryd Hayne.
The club has also yet to re-sign off-contract players Corey Norman, Isaac De Gois, Danny Wicks, Vai Toutai and Jeff Robson.
However, despite the introduction of an interim board last week, Arthur said he was still unsure when he could begin signing players for the 2017 season.
“We don’t have any clarity around the cap at the moment. We can’t do anything until we get that … It’s not ideal but it is what it is. We just have to move on,” he said.
It’s understood Manly prop Siosaia Vave is close to finalising a deal with the Eels.