Earl’s NRL comeback stalled by knee injury

Sandor Earl’s NRL comeback has been put on hold, with the Melbourne Storm back suffering a serious knee injury.

The 28-year-old was given a career lifeline by the Storm after serving a four-year ASADA suspension for peptides trafficking.

But Earl will now undergo knee surgery next week after sustaining an anterior cruciate ligament injury at training on Tuesday.

Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy said last week how impressed he’d been with Earl’s fitness and willingness to learn after his time out of the game.

Storm football director Frank Ponissi said everyone was “devastated” for the former Canberra winger.

“He is understandably shattered at the moment and we will support him in every way on and off the field to assist Sandor’s return back to playing,” Ponissi said.

“While he has only been with the club a short time, he has earned the respect of the coaches and players in the way he has approached training and embraced the standards and values of our club.”

* All Offers and Promotions posted in this article excludes NSW residents.
Stay up to date with the latest sports news
Follow our social accounts to get exclusive content and all the latest sporting news!