Cameron Smith has ended a near year-long feud with NRL broadcaster Channel Nine, after accepting an on-air apology from the network.
Smith fell out with Nine in July last year over a story about Alex McKinnon the network aired on its flagship current affairs program 60 minutes in the lead-up to the State of Origin decider.
Footy Show host Paul Vautin read the apology to Smith, who appeared on the program to end his boycott of Nine, on Wednesday night.
“Before we get started, we know it’s been a difficult relationship between Channel Nine and yourself over the past twelve months,” Vautin said at the start of the program.
“With regards to those issues, on behalf of the Nine Network we want to apologise to you and your family.”
In the 60 minutes story McKinnon expressed his upset at Smith’s apparent lack of concern as he lay sprawled on the AAMI Park turf two years ago after a tackle that has left him in a wheelchair.
Australia, Queensland and Melbourne captain Smith had boycotted Nine until Wednesday night, furious he was not offered a right of reply.
“It has been a difficult twelve months and I just want to thank you for that apology on behalf of the network,” Smith said.
“It’s no secret I was pretty disappointed with the 60 Minutes episode that aired last year and everything that happened afterwards too.
“That was probably the most disappointing thing, that I thought it took away from a beautiful story about Alex McKinnon and his fiancee Teigan.
“That was something we should have been focusing on and celebrating but that’s in the past now and I’ve worked all through that with Alex.”