Tander questions timing of HRT axing

In a thinly veiled swipe, Garth Tander has broken his silence and questioned the timing of the Holden Racing Team’s shock call to dump the former Supercars champion ahead of this weekend’s Bathurst 1000.

But Tander has vowed to honour the 10th anniversary of Holden great Peter Brock’s passing by savouring a fourth Mount Panorama crown on Sunday.

HRT recently dropped a bombshell by announcing they would not renew 2007 Supercars champion Tander’s contract for next season, replacing him with Scott Pye.

Remarkably, the shock news came just days after Tander had claimed a famous Sandown 500 victory with co-driver Warren Luff for HRT.

“News of the last week is disappointing and probably not the best preparation going into the biggest race of the year,” Tander said.

“But as an athlete that’s the last thing you think about – it’s about driving the race car as best as you can.

“I will park all that to one side and focus on this race.”

Tander may be reeling from HRT’s call but still felt duty bound to honour the manufacturer’s legendary driver Brock with a Mount Panorama triumph.

Sunday’s Great Race will mark the 10th anniversary of the record nine-time Bathurst champion’s death.

“For me to have success personally as my last drive for HRT (at Bathurst) there would be nothing better than to celebrate Peter’s passing of 10 years,” Tander said.

“But of course Bathurst is a tough race.

“I have been fortunate to win it three times.

“You walk out on the winner’s podium and when the chant goes up ‘Holden, Holden, Holden’ – it’s surreal, it’s like an outer body experience.

“But I hope to feel that again this weekend.”

* All Offers and Promotions posted in this article excludes NSW residents.
Stay up to date with the latest sports news
Follow our social accounts to get exclusive content and all the latest sporting news!