He came into the new Formula One season hoping to better last year’s three wins and have a genuine shot at the championship.
But two races in and Daniel Ricciardo concedes he’s had to keep a lid on his expectations.
Red Bull Racing, powered by Renault, have struggled to keep up with pacesetters Mercedes and Ferrari, who’ve shared the spoils in the opening rounds.
Ricciardo finished last month’s Australian Grand Prix in sixth, more than a lap behind the winner, and 10th on Sunday in Malaysia.
At this point last year, the Australian had a disqualification and retirement next to his name but went on to score five podiums and three victories.
“I think coming into the season, (I was) obviously hoping to get some more wins and try and fight for a title,” he told Laureus.com.
“After two races, I’ve got to be a bit more reserved on that now. But … I think we can still target a victory at least.
“It’s probably not going to come in China, but it is a long season and I feel we can definitely get there.
“We’ll just keep working at it and hopefully we get one before Abu Dhabi in November.”
The 25-year-old said what his team managed to do last year after their early struggles gave him “a lot of positivity” in their ability to turn things around.
His achievements in 2014 have earned him a Breakthrough of the Year nomination at the Laureus World Sports Awards, to be held in Shanghai after the Chinese Grand Prix on April 15.