Final three NASCAR Chase spots determined

Kevin Harvick, Kyle Busch and Martin Truex Jr advanced to the Chase for the Sprint Cup championship finale after surviving a long Sunday that ended with a rain-shortened NASCAR race at Phoenix International Raceway.

The event was delayed nearly seven hours by a series of storms, forcing the second last race in the Chase to start under lights at the mile oval.

More rain forced NASCAR to called it after 219 laps, with Harvick second behind winner Dale Earnhardt Jr, Busch fourth and Truex 14th. They will join Jeff Gordon next weekend in the finale at Homestead-Miami Speedway, with the series title decided by finishing order among the four drivers.

Carl Edwards crossed in 12th, leaving him five points out of the final spot for the Chase finale. Joey Logano, Kurt Busch and Brad Keselowski also missed the finale.

Gordon had the only spot at Homestead locked up before the race, thanks to his win two weeks ago at Martinsville.

That left seven drivers fighting for three spots, including three sets of teammates.

The long rain delay included numerous stops and starts around pit road, with drivers going to their cars a couple times, only to be forced back into the garage area.

Once the race started, Kurt Busch put himself in a difficult position, forced to the back after being penalised for jumping the start.

He worked his way back towards the front, reaching the top 10 near the race’s midpoint.

That put all the Chase contenders near the front, hoping they could make the move to get into the top three with Gordon.

The Chase pressure ratcheted up with about 120 laps left when Joey Gase slid up into the wall, causing a caution.

With rain moving towards the track, Harvick, Kyle Busch and Truex were in the final four, and Edwards five points behind the final spot.

The caution stretched out as crews tried to clean the track and the drivers were held in a yellow holding pattern as rain started to fall at PIR.

“We can’t let it end like this,” Edwards told his team on the radio.

The cars ran under caution for several more laps before being sent to pit road as the track was red flagged.

The rain picked up after that, ending the race with Earnhardt in the lead, three drivers happy and four others wondering what might have happened had it continued.

* All Offers and Promotions posted in this article excludes NSW residents.
Stay up to date with the latest sports news
Follow our social accounts to get exclusive content and all the latest sporting news!