Courtney ready for Sydney Supercars return

Courtney ready for Sydney Supercars return

Supercars star James Courtney has confirmed he’s ready to roll at next weekend’s event at Sydney Motorsport Park.

Courtney suffered serious injuries at the western Sydney venue last year when a low-flying Navy helicopter’s wash sent a pit boom crashing into his side.

The 2010 drivers’ champion broke several ribs, damaged his sternum and lungs in the incident.

Last month Courtney underwent surgery to burn several nerve endings around the damaged area in a bid to control increasing pain.

The Holden Racing Team driver confirmed at the time he was facing a lifelong battle with the injuries, with the nerve-burning operation likely to become an annual event.

Courtney though says he’s ready to race at the venue at next weekend’s Sydney SuperSprint event with the operation having gone smoothly.

“I’ll be fine,” Courtney told AAP.

“We just had to get in there and get it done now because with the operation, even though it’s relatively minor it was still two and a half hours I was under and there’s a chance they could have nicked one my lungs just because of the close proximity to it all.

“Everything went well and there’s no reason why I won’t be at Eastern Creek.”

The Sydney Supersprint event gets underway with practice on Friday, August 26 before a single race each on the Saturday and Sunday.

* All Offers and Promotions posted in this article excludes NSW residents.
Stay up to date with the latest sports news
Follow our social accounts to get exclusive content and all the latest sporting news!