One year after his biggest moment the family of Jules Bianchi are ready to face his death.
In Mote Carlo on Friday Philippe Bianchi revealed his son’s neurological condition was stagnant.
The 25-year-old French racing driver finished ninth in last year’s Monaco Grand Prix, earning the Marussia team their first and, to date, only points-scoring finish in the sport, but suffered life-threatening head injuries when he crashed during last October’s Japanese Grand Prix.
“The situation is stagnant,” Bianchi senior told Canal+.
“Jules’ neurological progress is not what we would like it to be. When we get up every morning we think of Jules’ life… We think also of his death. We have to think about death because we are in a situation where we know a lot of things can happen.
“It’s terrible. I think we all stopped living that day, the fifth of October. It’s something you can never expect. It’s not what Jules wants, being in a hospital bed. It’s not his life. It’s not what we want either, but we have to keep hope.”
Bianchi continues to fight for his life in controlled medical conditions in hospital in his home city Nice.
His father added: “The first thing is Jules is alive, that’s the most important thing for us…
“He’s fighting with the weapons he has, but in neurological terms I’m not sure he is able to do much now. Seeing him fighting gives a lot of hope to his loved ones, and it’s important for us.
“While there is life, there is hope. Even though, after a while you are hoping for a miracle. Every day is difficult.”
The Marussia team, owned now by Manor F1, is this weekend marking the anniversary of Bianchi’s achievement in last year’s Monaco race. Team members are all wearing special wristbands to honour him.
Bianchi senior recalled the feat. He said: “I was there and I was lucky enough when Jules finished the Grand Prix that I was the first person he took into his arms because I was on my own when he finished. Those are incredible moments.”